1. You hire a lawyer makes a huge difference. Use your common sense when choosing. Be careful, ask questions, and do not hire someone if you do not feel well. About your interaction with him Here are some things to think about the first meeting with a lawyer:
- The lawyer was a direct phone number? Presumably, if you are going to access through a secretary or paralegal with your lawyer that you have more time to) achieve his or
- appear dirty office, the lawyer suggests disorganized, your business will be disorganized. When other customer documents in open court look see, you can know that your documents are sitting in brief in public places as well, and
- Make sure that the lawyer obtain the written consent of the client to ensure that your Board, rights and responsibilities, and to understand
- not hire an amateur - who makes the case of a speeding ticket in the morning, the closing of real estate is in the afternoon and squeezes your case somewhere in the middle of a divorce hard enough that someone all day every day and have to adjust
- is not an attorney, said that he was working on other cases / she may ask the attorney that he or she is an average load. Treatment of more than 15 or 20 cases in which the cause of most lawyers are overwhelmed and ineffective. Reflecting on these questions, if you have a lawyer for the first time to help you make the right choice.
2. Do not let a judge decide for you. The minute you (or your spouse) go to court and ask the judge to decide your divorce for you, give you almost complete control over the process. If you save your money and give it to a lawyer, and if you want to keep control of your life to continue, do not want. To the exclusive jurisdiction of last resort when all else fails. Try to negotiate to try mediation, try collaborative divorce, try settlement conferences, but not to prosecute. You can win in court, but at what cost? When you dance with your ex-wife at the wedding of your child? Probably not. Litigation is destructive, expensive and heartbreaking. Sue only if you have no other choice. Litigation, unfortunately, necessary in some cases. There will always be people who can not just some, no matter how hard you are trying. Legal reserve for the most desperate situations.
3. Is there a collaborative divorce lawyer (and get your spouse to do the same.) Now you know me, you want to out of court. You want your situation to determine how effectively, efficiently and effectively as possible? Course. Here divorce as divorce lawyers handle joint. In a joint divorce to all participants (lawyers and their clients) a written undertaking to keep your case out of court. It really keeps all participants on a mutually advantageous agreement aimed both sides, without the costly and disruptive litigation.
4. Often people think that hiring a mediator to engage a substitute for an attorney to try to settle their divorce. Fatal error do these people: Mediators can not give legal advice. Their role is to help people to accept the disadvantage that they help you to something that you would not agree to accept when you try legal advice first. With the assistance of a mediator can be effective in treating a divorce, you should never hire a broker without first obtaining legal advice from a lawyer, the only role to be to represent your interests: Timing is everything here. In fact, any good agent will ensure that you. And you get legal advice before a contract is concluded, one way or another If you decide to settle, seek legal advice before. In mediation It is more effective and safer.
5. Signed an agreement with an attorney who asks for billing by the hour, like a check. Be careful. Let's face it - hourly billing encourages what? Payment! Find an attorney who can tell you what your case will cost. The only way to be sure that your rights lawyer to obtain a firm commitment for a fixed price. Fees that you need short frequent updates to the costs you incur more (if it were our money, we want every day in real-time updates via the Internet), and we want to, or accept reject any measures that are charged at our money would lead. It just makes no sense to anyone with an economic incentive to make your life miserable by doing things. Doctors do charge hourly - they ask for a fixed fee for the office visit or surgery. Lawyers want you to believe they can predict your costs. If you do not say how much it costs, then do not buy.
6. In a divorce, it is easy to get caught up in the emotions and all of your choices at this point. This can be a mistake, but after spending some time analyzing your case to pay the logic, the economic benefits, future dividends. Keep your finger on the pulse of time and focus on getting a divorce is more than one. Move on with their lives It is not uncommon that people do things like divorce spend $ 500 for a microwave oven $ 100. Do not do it. If you do not, to achieve a clear connection between your actions and a final decision on your case, you do not take these steps.
7. Often people who are in divorce that to change their priorities throughout the process. What they considered the most important, as they began the process is not necessarily the same things that are important in the conclusion. It is important that you examine your priorities regularly with your attorney or yourself, so that you can always remember the things that matter most to you. Stay on your priorities, you can inform your own lawyer and a better use of the divorce order. The results that you get you passionately
8. One of the most common mistakes people make when they begin a divorce, she decided absolutely, positively must be A, B and C, and nothing else will suffice. It remains flexible in the divorce process critically and impartially all the problems that arise. This is especially true for people who have changed their priorities throughout the process (see point 7). Do you know what you want and get flexible in their approach, it can often make the difference between success and disappointment.
9. When you go to your lawyer to hire not only manual control of your life and for them. Your divorce is important to you, and this is too important to be transmitted to the side and ignored. Stay informed on a daily basis. You want to find a lawyer who you are involved as the way you are. Two things to look for a lawyer who wants to engage customers: same day delivery for all documents that you are in or out of a law firm (e-mail is an excellent choice for this), and 24/7 access to your companies. Ideally, the file is available on the extranet site to your lawyer. If you do not have online access to your credit card and bank accounts, should your divorce file to the site and your lawyer will be written. Many lawyers use technology to someone about your life less stressful and easier, which uses the latest technology to help you to find me involved. Customer participation can control, reduce anxiety and make better decisions about the future, allowing them to achieve positive results in their divorce.
10. Knowledge can be your best ally. Divorce laws of your state or search for local law library or online. NCdivorce.com divorce is the most comprehensive site in North Carolina. The site has a forum for questions and answers, lawyers, calculator, alimony, recent outbreaks in North America, Carolina in numerous tests and information on all aspects of divorce, seminar, video and more. Read the information on this website will greatly enhance its effectiveness and communicate with your lawyer to negotiate with your spouse.