Friday, December 31, 2010

It’s all in the writing…..

How many of you receive cards in the mail from friends, family, or colleagues? How many of you recognize the handwriting on the card? Handwriting is unique to each individual and although we recognize it, we don’t think too much of it. I remember receiving birthday cards from my father when he remarried but something wasn’t quite right. The card said it was from my father but it wasn’t his signature, it was my stepmothers. Now if you have never been a child of divorce, you may not understand what it is like to receive a card from your father and it's not his writing, it’s devastating. I would receive these cards and wonder why he didn’t take the time to ever sign them himself. I would also wonder if he was having my stepmother shop for the card and not even know she signed and sent it. This is just a little tip for all of those parents out there who send their children cards, sign it yourself, it might mean the world to your child.I write this tip because unless you have been a child of divorce, this may never occur to you but it may make a huge difference in the life of a child.

For the record...I love my step-mother and truly appreciate everything she has done throughout the years!

CC-