Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Rediscovering Myself...by Cathy Chestler M.Ed

When I divorced I struggled with the notion of whether or not to change my name back to my maiden name. Having 2 young children with a different last name might create problems. I remember my mother changing her last name when I was younger and her always having to explain herself to the school, pediatrician, and the other moms.

I decided to go back to my maiden name. After getting it court ordered I called every company I had dealings with and informed them of the change. Some companies required a fax of the court order and some changed it while I was on the phone with them.

There is a sense of empowerment that came along with changing my name. I felt as if I had regained who I once was. Being in an unhappy marriage for so long really takes a toll on your soul and just the changing of my last name back to my birth name gave me such a new look on life.

It did take my children a while to get used to the new last name and that it was no longer the same as theirs. I explained to them that I am no longer the person who was married to their father. They understood, but didn’t like it at first. As time went on they didn’t really care anymore, I was still was and would always be mom.

CC-